While current travel bookings are only half of pre-2020 levels, a steady increase since the start of the year reveals a desire to return to normal with a side of safety net.
- The typical post-holiday bump in bookings did occur. Since the start of 2021, reservations are up for car rentals (130%), hotel stays (80%), airline tickets (40%), cruises and tours (140%).
- The travelers who book are anticipating a possible change in plans, making reservations that include flexible cancellation policies, avoiding pre-paid reservations.
- Short, last-minute road trips remain the top getaway with 70% of hotel stays lasting one night; rental cars and hotel rooms booked up to three days in advance of travel.
- Spring break appears to be the catalyst for increased March/April bookings to Las Vegas, Phoenix and Hawaii with these airline tickets bought 1 to 15 days before departure.
- Attendees of AAA Washington’s 2021 Winter Virtual Travel Shows in January and February, booked cruises and tours departing September 2021 and spring, 2022. Amsterdam and Venice are the most popular international destinations, which are both popular for cruise departures.
About AAA Washington:As one of the largest leisure travel agencies in the state, AAA Washington has the most up-to-date information on travel bookings and trends. You do not have to be a AAA member to use our travel services. From taking a road trip to an around-the-world sail, our trusted experts offer personalized travel planning to ensure you find the best and safest ways to reach and enjoy your destination. Additional information is available at our stores in Washington and north Idaho or through www.AAA.com.
AAA Washington Media ContactsKelly Just | 425-647-1594
Jennifer Cook | 425-301-9075
Facebook: AAA Washington