One week from the busiest travel day of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, Washingtonians who’ve booked end-of-the-year travel with AAA are, for the most part, heading to warmer temperatures and big cities.*
- In order, our top 10 domestic destinations are Santa Ana and San Diego, Calif.; Lihue, Maui, Honolulu and Kona, Hawaii; Orlando, Fla.; Los Angeles, Calif.; Las Vegas, Nev. and New York City.
- Visitors to Hawaii will pay the most for rental cars with a daily average rate of $182. While that number is 30% higher than daily average rate of $140 seen in the rest of the country, both prices are below 2020’s average daily rate of $212.
- Our 2021 air travel bookings for this period increased 182% from last year. However, that volume is nearly two-thirds (64%) short of 2019 totals.
- AAA Washington clients are spending 20% more on their end-of-year travel in 2021 compared to 2020, and 30% more than 2019.
- Some of that spending will take Washingtonians outside the U.S. The top 10 list of international destinations includes five different cities in Mexico as well as Chile, Italy, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Canada.
*Travel data from December 23, 2021 through January 2, 2022.