10 Inductees Will Be Honored At May 14 Seattle Mariners Game
BELLEVUE, Wash. — DiBaggio Ramirez-Diaz of Tukwila Elementary and Preston Yao of Highland Terrace School in Shoreline are the newest inductees to the AAA School Safety Patrol Hall of Fame. Ramirez-Diaz and Yao are being recognized for showcasing their courage and leadership in school safety patrol. They will be among the top 10 outstanding patrollers in Washington state to be inducted in the 2016 AAA School Safety Patrol Hall of Fame.
In recognition of their dedication to safety, community stewardship and leadership, Ramierz-Diaz and Yao will be recognized at an evening awards ceremony held before a Seattle Mariners game at Safeco Field on Saturday, May 14.
As a long standing tradition, AAA Washington and a panel of judges from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and the Washington Traffic Safety Commission select top patrollers from schools across Washington each year and honor their accomplishments through induction in the AAA School Safety Patrol Hall of Fame.
Patrollers are evaluated and judged on their commitment to traffic safety, citizenship, leadership skills, and contributions to school safety patrol programs. Nominations require input from both the patroller and their advisor, including responses to a series of essay questions. This year, the panel reviewed and evaluated nearly 50 nominations to determine the top 10 inductees.
Gianna Pirak, of Finch Elementary in Spokane, will be awarded the AAA School Safety Patrol Lifesaver Award, and Marie Lanham, school safety patrol advisor at Hillside Elementary from Joint Base Lewis McChord, will be recognized as the fifth annual AAA School Safety Patrol Advisor of the Year.
2016 AAA School Safety Patrol Hall of Fame Inductees:
- Robert Flach– Harmony Elementary – Vancouver
- Taylor Franklin – Cascade Ridge Elementary – Sammamish
- Taylor Galbreath – Ritzville Grade School – Ritzville
- Riley Gustas – Poulsbo Elementary – Poulsbo
- Colby Majewski – Image Elementary – Vancouver
- Aderyn McLean – Riverview Elementary – Vancouver
- DiBaggio Ramirez-Diaz – Tukwila Elementary – Tukwila
- Haiden Rogers – Broad View Elementary – Oak Harbor
- Kloe Salazar – Dower Elementary – Lakewood
- Preston Yao – Highland Terrace School – Shoreline
AAA School Safety Patrol Advisor of the Year:
- Marie Lanham – Hillside Elementary – Joint Base Lewis McChord
AAA School Safety Patrol Lifesaver Award:
- Gianna Pirak – Finch Elementary – Spokane
AAA created the School Safety Patrol more than 90 years ago and partners with local agencies to bring the program to elementary schools across Washington. The safety patrol has been credited with being a major contributor to the substantial reduction in traffic related fatalities of school age children (ages 5-14).