Greece travel is characterized by vivid blue and ivory buildings, tantalizing aromas, hospitable locals, tangible history and dreamy landscapes.
As this country was the birthplace of Western culture and established the foundations in art, architecture and philosophy, it is a fascinating destination for travelers with a wide array of interests.
Experience the Acropolis of Athens, the first Olympic stadium and other millennia-old structures dotting the country during your Greek adventure. Join educational tours in the capital, climb Mount Olympus, go island hopping through the Mediterranean and enjoy the laid-back, warm culture that permeates every location you visit.
If you’ve decided to embark on a journey to Greece, continue reading to learn about all that this vibrant country has in store for you, or get in touch with AAA to speak with a knowledgeable travel agent about your upcoming trip.
Greece Travel Deals by AAA
Greece is a country renowned for its creativity, impact on Western culture, philosophical tendencies and ancient architecture. These cultural landmarks ensure that the country is overflowing with unique sightseeing opportunities to help travelers enjoy their Greek vacation.
If you want to fully immerse yourself in the experience abroad, travel to Greece with one of AAA’s premium vacation packages. AAA’s designer travel packages to Greece are created to allow every style of traveler to enjoy their visit to one of the most culturally rich destinations on the planet.
The following sections contain outlines of four of AAA’s most memorable Greece travel experiences. Please note that specific dates, amenities and itineraries are subject to change.
Best of Greece
Immerse yourself in the meditative atmosphere of the monasteries of Meteora — a gathering of Byzantine clifftop structures that will capture your breath and interest for hours. Meander the Sacred Way between Athens and Eleusis and experience the vibrancy of centuries of history tucked around every bend.
On this eight-day adventure uncovering the best of Greece, you will explore Athens, Corinth, Mycenae, Nafplion, Olympia, Patras, Delphi, Thermopylae, Kalambaka and Meteora.
Not only can you indulge your taste buds in decadent souvlaki, you will also discover some of the most magnificent architecture from ancient Greece (such as the Parthenon, Temple of Zeus, Hadrian’s Arch, the very first Olympic stadium, Sanctuary of Asclepius and more).
You will stay at the following notable hotels:
- Divani Palace Acropolis
- Amalia Nafplio
- Amalia Olympia
- Amalia Delphi
- Amalia Kalambaka
This itinerary can also be done in reverse on AAA’s Best of Greece Reverse vacation package.
Take 10 days to discover classical Greece in all its otherworldly glory and cultural finesse. This escapade introduces some of the most important ruins of ancient Greece,
The itinerary for this travel adventure includes the following stops:
- Day 1, overnight flight to Athens.
- Days 2 and 3, Athens. Your journey begins in the country’s capital with a memorable welcome dinner. Here, you will meet fellow adventurers who will be accompanying you on your travels.
- Day 4, Thermopylae and Kalambaka. Explore Central Greece and marvel at monuments dedicated to Spartan kings, indulge in tasty Greek cuisine at family-owned restaurants with generations-old recipes and marvel at the delicate artistry of local craftsmen and women.
- Day 5, Kalambaka, Metéora and Arachova. Enjoy a guided tour of a 600-year-old clifftop monastery marked by imposing towers that rise by nearly 900 feet. After you’ve satisfied your craving for ancient architecture, continue to Arachova, a ski resort town that provides visitors with stunning panoramas of the surrounding peaks and valleys.
- Day 6, Arachova, Delphi and Olympia. Tour one of Greece’s most prominent religious centers with a local guide and discover what various sites would have been like during classical times. Wander through the Doric temple, the Sanctuary of Apollo and the ancient theatre as you get acquainted with Greece’s colorful past.
- Day 7, Olympia. Revel in another day filled with viewing some of Greece’s most impressive historical sites and architecture. Tour the Temple of Zeus, the Olympic Stadium (where the first Olympic Games were held), along with other locations of note. Learn to cook some of the country’s best regional dishes, and finish the evening at an immersive class where you will be introduced to traditional Greek folkloric dance.
- Day 8, Olympia, Mycenae and Nafplio. Cross the Arcadian Mountains, marvel at the breathtaking ancient city of Mycenae, and go on a guided tour of the Beehive Tombs and Lion Gate.
- Day 9, Nafplio and Athens. Spend your morning exploring Nafplio before heading back to Athens, where your Greece tour will conclude. Enjoy a farewell dinner with your fellow travelers to commemorate your expedition and indulge yourself in one last Greek meal at a local restaurant.
- Day 10, Athens. This is the official end of your Greece tour itinerary.
Best of Greece + 1 Day Island Cruise
Embark on an adventure of a lifetime and spend nine days in paradise basking in the landscapes, architecture, fragrance and flavors of Greece.
Visit Athens, Corinth, Mycenae, Nafplion, Olympia, Patras, Delphi, Thermopylae, Kalambaka, as well as three of Greece’s islands.
Not only will you get to explore many of Greece’s most acclaimed sites, but also spend a full day sailing the Aegean waters and wandering peaceful Mediterranean islands to your heart’s content. This itinerary truly affords the chance to experience all the best that Greece has to offer — in both the city as well as the remote regions.
Glories of Greece
This week-long vacation unpacks Greece’s most glorious sites ranging from the ancient Acropolis, the Arch of Hadrian, the Temple of Athena Nike and the Meteora (a UNESCO World Heritage Site).
You will stay at the following hotels during this lavish tour of Greece include:
- Divani Caravel Hotel: Athens
- Crowne Plaza Athens: Athens
- Divani Meteora Hotel: Kalambaka
- Grand Meteora Hotel: Kalambaka
- Amalia Hotel: Olympia
- Arty Grand Hotel: Olympia
When Is the Best Time to Travel to Greece?
When deciding what time of year would be best for your visit to Greece, here are some key dates to be aware of as you plan your vacation.
- Peak tourism season. This runs from June through August and is accompanied by dense crowds and higher overall prices. If you wish to avoid the crowds and extra cost, you may want to plan your trip during the off-season.
- Best weather. May, June and September are the months that have the nicest overall weather — without too high of temperatures. An added bonus of visiting during May or September is that you can enjoy sparser crowds while also still taking full advantage of a nearly perfect climate.
- Cheapest time to visit Greece. The most cost-effective time of year to visit Greece usually falls during November, January, February and March (with the exceptions of New Year’s, Valentine’s Day and spring break). During these months, airfare and accommodation will be at their lowest — causing trip expenses to be considerably lower than they would otherwise be.
Unique Hotels in Greece
If you want to make traveling to Greece an unforgettable experience, book your stay at one of the country’s world-class premium hotels or resorts.
Due to the country’s highly interesting history and unique architectural style, Greece is home to several upscale hotels that offer extraordinary accommodations.
Two distinctive lodging establishments in Greece are certain to help you create lasting memories during your stay.
Mitsis Alila Resort and Spa
With over 300 elaborately decorated and designed rooms, the Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa offers concierge services, valet parking and VIP transfers to ensure that you have an unforgettable experience during your stay.
The resort offers several fine dining options for guests as well as organized activities for children, a wellness spa for rejuvenation and other entertainment options to keep you feeling truly Zen.
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Modern, upscale and chic, this five-star hotel is guaranteed to make your Greece stay delightful. The hotel is styled in a Cretan fashion and gives guests waterfront views, various designer-outfitted suites and access to world-class restaurants serving a diverse range of vibrant dishes to appeal to your inner epicure.
Partner With AAA to Plan Your Greece Travel Adventure Today
Are you ready to embark on the journey of a lifetime through one of civilization, history and education’s most prominent shapers? Get in touch with AAA today to book your unforgettable Greece travel experience or to pose any of your vacation questions to a seasoned travel agent.